Here's a condensed set of slides from the eight session on Success in The Art of Self-Coaching, a new course I'm teaching at the Stanford Graduate School of Business this Spring, and the readings for this session are shown below. If you'd like to learn more about the topics being covered, here's my syllabus.
CLASS 8: SUCCESS
- This Is Water (David Foster Wallace)
- The Myths of Happiness (Sonja Lyubomirsky)
- Chapter 5, pages 115-143, “I’ll Be Happy When…I Find the Right Job”
- For further reading: Chapter 7, pages 163-181, "I'll Be Happy When...I'm Rich"
- OPTIONAL: Managing Oneself (Peter Drucker)
Here are some other readings that I referenced in class or that have informed my approach to today's topic:
And here are some additional related posts of my own:
- Peter Drucker on Excellence, Careers and Planning
- Early Stage Survival and Later Stage Success
- Learning to Say "No" Is Part of Success
- Growth, Profitability and Return on Attention
- Doing Less, Leading More
- Happiness, Excellence and Boundaries: A Framework for Leaders: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3
- Alain de Botton on Status Anxiety